BMWMOA
Charter CLUB #186

Upcoming events

Search

Login

Membership

Would you like to be part of the Valley BMW Riders family?

Please visit our membership information page (link down below).

Any further questions, please contact our treasurer Tom Maxted.

Membership Information & Payment options

Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
- Partly Dave´s - Dave Friedman is a long standing member of our club with an extensive and thorough knowledge of BMW motorcycles. Dave will be offering "Specials" to the club members, so check back here frequently 'cause if you snooze you may looze out.
- Bentley - The Okanagan´s Premiere Destination Motorcycle Dealership. Visit Bentley Motorrad in Kelowna for great offers and deals.
- The Hitching Post Restaurant - We have been serving the Similkameen community since July 2004. Specialized in homemade food with fresh ingredients, and our staff offers quality and reliable service you can count on.
- Midway campground - Welcome to the Midway Riverfront Park. Enjoy camping right beside the river in downtown Midway.
- Dogsear - Canada's No. 1 imprintable activewear store for almost 40 years.
- Betta services - We can save you time and money whether it is for the shipping or receiving of your packages or by providing you with affordable faxing services or mailbox pickup service.
-
-
- Red Rock Garage - Dan Mirabent´s garage is a great stopping place if you’re running Hwy 33. If you haven’t done so already, stop in and say hi to Dan and his staff and try some of the great coffee and have a look around at the motorcycle memorabilia. He also carries premium fuel for your bike.
- MotoVida has a full motorcycle service and repair shop for all makes and models of bikes. Let us take care of your bike and get you back to living life on two wheels. Featuring a wide range of riding gear and offering 10% off on riding gear for VBMWR members.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are the any Technosynthese Alternatives?

Are the any Technosynthese Alternatives? 3 months 1 week ago #188

• Thank you received:

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • The previous owner (from 0-100K) of my 2002 R1150RT was using Motul 4T 5100 Technosynthese oil, and since taking it over I have been doing the same. However, while watching Chris Harris on You Tube to get a few pointers before scraping my knuckles again (I got blood all over the Fairing yesterday from my blood soaked wrists when changing the Pilot & Headlight Bulbs), he suggested NOT to use Synthetic Oil in this bike.

So far, he's been pretty much spot on with his advice, and so my question to you all is what type of alternative Non-Synthetic Oil do you (anyone?) use?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are the any Technosynthese Alternatives? 3 months 1 week ago #190

• Administrator
  • Administrator

• Thank you received: 3

• Birthdate: 08 Oct 1974
  • Hi Daniel, Motul has a mineral oil with the same weight as synthetic, however on my humble opinion (not as good as Chris Harris probably) there is nothing that synthetic will affect the R1150RT. With oils there is lots of myths and old wires tales, the most important thing now a days is just to make sure that whatever oil you use has 2 things, 1.That it is a motorcycle specific oil for 4 stroke 2. The right weights for your engine (viscosity).

The motorcycle specific oil has additives that help preserve the engine and more specific the wet clutch on the engine, using car oil (mineral or synthetic) even if its the right weight, will affect the performance of the clutch and can actually accelerate its wear, the only motorcycles that are inmune to this are the old dry clutch boxer engines.

Another myth is that if you have synthetic already on your engine and need to top it up you have to wait till you find synthetic (or vice-versa with mineral), this is a myth, as long as the weight is the same you can mix them, and if you don't find the right viscosity, the golden rule is: any oil is better than NO oil.

The main thing is always keep the scheduled oil changes and either mineral or synthetic that will keep your bike running for miles.

Cheers,
    Dan

The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel

Are the any Technosynthese Alternatives? 3 months 1 week ago #191

• Hi Daniel:

Just curious, but did he give any specific reasons not to use synthetic in the RT?

I've been running synthetic in all my bikes for quite a few years with no ill effects that I'm aware of. My understanding is that synthetics can handle higher temperatures without breaking down. That's particularly important for air-cooled engines or even air/oil cooled engines like ours. Another benefit is you can go longer between oil changes and that's a plus if you're embarking on a long tour.

I agree with Dan that the most important thing is regular oil and filter changes. If you change Dino oil more frequently it can still be less costly than synthetic. By the way with our dry-clutch bikes, even the need for motorcycle specific oil is less relevant but I use motorcycle oil regardless.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne Corley
    President

Are the any Technosynthese Alternatives? 3 months 1 week ago #193

• Thank you received:

• Great insights, Dan. Thanks so much for the advice :)

Are the any Technosynthese Alternatives? 3 months 1 week ago #194

• Thank you received:

• No Wayne, he didn't mention why. However, as the bike was regularly serviced by S&R Island BMW I will assume that it was their suggestion. However, as the last 'Shop' Service entry was at 100,000 kms (2008) and I took the bike over at 112,000 kms (September 2017) I felt it best to do ALL fluids right away because between this period there are no records (I am the 3rd owner). At the start of this season I have completed an Engine Oil change, Gear Oil & Final Drive Oil, as well as 2 New Tires (April). This past week I replaced 2 Light Bulbs and yesterday (at 115,500 kms) the 2nd Engine Oil Change. I know that's only 3000 kms between Engine Oil changes, but I wasn't too sure of the condition so I decided to do it early to see what the situation was, and I'm glad that I did (except for having to pay $17 per Litre for the Motul Technosynthese) because at least now I know where I stand (it was pretty clean with no debris).

Further to your advice, and that of Dan above, I will continue to follow through with the Synthetic Product as it seems to work just fine for you; and that's good enough for me!

Do you have any suggestions on Brands that are less expensive than the Motul at $17 per litre?

Thanks again for all of your kind advice; it sure helps be breathe a little easier knowing that I'm on the right track.

Daniel

Are the any Technosynthese Alternatives? 3 months 1 week ago #195

• Good plan to change all the fluids right away when it is an unknown. Have you flushed the brake fluid yet? Apparently that's pretty important with the ABS in our bikes. It was done on mine just prior to me buying it but that's a job I plan to tackle sometime this summer.

I've been using AMSOil 20/50 synthetic which I've been getting through Gary Smith, one of our members. I'm ordering some now so I'll let you know the current price when I find out. I think it was $15-16 per quart last time I bought some.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne Corley
    President
    • Page:
    Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Motovida DGR

Motovida will be hosting the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride on September 30, its a charity events to support the fight for prostate cancer, more details at www.motovida.com

Link

BMW Discount

We have successfully completed the first VBMWR club discount on a purchase of a new motorcycle, please keep this in mind for future purchases, it works with any BMW dealership, also includes cars.

Horizons Unlimited 2019

Horizons Unlimited has changed their date for 2019 in Nakusp in an effort to avoid the smoke that has become a norm in BC, please check the new dates.

2019 Riding Season

Please let the executive know your thoughts and expectations for 2019! Let them know what worked and what didn't work on 2018.

Oroville, WA Ride & Camp

Our last official club event for 2018 is the great and possibly chilly Ride and Camp in Oroville, WA. This is a great event as we basically have the campground for ourselves and a great opportunity to meet everyone and say goodbye to the riding season with a bang.

Motovida DGR

Motovida will be hosting the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride on September 30, its a charity events to support the fight for prostate cancer, more details at www.motovida.com

Link

BMW Discount

We have successfully completed the first VBMWR club discount on a purchase of a new motorcycle, please keep this in mind for future purchases, it works with any BMW dealership, also includes cars.

Horizons Unlimited 2019

Horizons Unlimited has changed their date for 2019 in Nakusp in an effort to avoid the smoke that has become a norm in BC, please check the new dates.

2019 Riding Season

Please let the executive know your thoughts and expectations for 2019! Let them know what worked and what didn't work on 2018.

Oroville, WA Ride & Camp

Our last official club event for 2018 is the great and possibly chilly Ride and Camp in Oroville, WA. This is a great event as we basically have the campground for ourselves and a great opportunity to meet everyone and say goodbye to the riding season with a bang.

Motovida DGR

Link

BMW Discount

Horizons Unlimited 2019

2019 Riding Season

Oroville, WA Ride & Camp

Motovida DGR

Link

BMW Discount

Horizons Unlimited 2019

2019 Riding Season

Oroville, WA Ride & Camp

Motovida DGR

Link

BMW Discount

Horizons Unlimited 2019

2019 Riding Season

Oroville, WA Ride & Camp

Motovida DGR

Link

BMW Discount

Horizons Unlimited 2019

2019 Riding Season

Oroville, WA Ride & Camp

Motovida DGR

Link

BMW Discount

Horizons Unlimited 2019

2019 Riding Season

Oroville, WA Ride & Camp

Motovida DGR

Link

BMW Discount

Horizons Unlimited 2019

2019 Riding Season

Oroville, WA Ride & Camp

• No posts to display.

Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.