Doug’s DIY Oil Change Experience

Yesterday I changed the oil in my K75. 

 (Hey, I've done it twice before and thought I had it down.)  I had a large shallow pan lined with newspapers - Good move though more newspaper on the right side would have been smart to avoid that rather large spatter on the sidewalk. Also had, on top of the pan, a genuine approved oil drain container with a sloped side to direct the oil into a one-inch hole.  Rode the bike for 20 minutes to heat up the oil then assembled the above.  Loosened the drain bolt and spun it out with my bare hand (wouldn't a household rubber glove be smart!) and yanked the bolt out of the hot oil.  Oil was splashing a bit but got the hole in the pan directly under the drain.  That accomplished, I examined the bolt.  No washer.  I'd no sooner thought it than I heard something drop with a decidedly non-oily sound.  Right, the washer had fallen into the drain pan. I knew I had purchased some extra washers and checked on them in the designated basement drawer.  All new washers had been used and I had discarded the really bad washer I'd taken from the drain bolt last fall. But I'm glad that I had emptied all the used oil out of the container before this project and only had about 3 quarts do deal with.  With a filter funnel I can pour the oil into a milk jug and catch the washer, except none of my funnels have filters.  My wife suggests I cut a circle out of a plastic gizmo that holds bedding plants.  Brilliant.  Holes are big enough to let the oil pass freely but small enough to catch the damn washer.  After cutting out the circle I put it in the filter, shake up the oil container and pour.  I know what you are thinking, but you are wrong. The milk jug did not tip over.  But the washer also did not come out.  With brilliant sunshine behind me, I peered into the used oil container.  Yes, there it was, mired in some sludge.  Poured in a little gas, shook the whole thing up some more, then poured again through the improvised filter funnel - this time into the burn pile area.  Success!  And the washer was reusable.  The whole operation only took about 1 1/2 hours, called for much creative thought, and saved me 50 cents.  (That seems to be the exorbitant price of washers these days.)  Think I'll order a few years supply of all drain washers.  One can only take so much of this kind of fun before it becomes work and I believe once was my limit.

 Doug


Print   Email