Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What Did You Do To Your Bike Today?

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today? 1 year 11 months ago #73

• Thank you received: 4

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Riding season for most of us has come to an end and in an effort to forestall a severe case of PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) I thought we could keep each other informed about what we're doing in the garage over the winter. So tell us, what did you do to your bike today. I'll start.

When I acquired Gumby II, he came with a set of Wonderlich Engine Guards. Unfortunately they are a bit used (scarred) and it appeared that they had never been mounted on the bike. Further there was no mounting hardware included. On the plus side Wonderlich still offers (and stocks) the guards on their US website and there is an excellent installation instruction available for download in pdf format.

A trip to Lakeside Fasteners and I had the required metric bolts for the princely sum of $5. A bit of wrestling and the bars are on.

My next step was to remove them again so I can take them in to get them powder coated. Hopefully that will happen in the next week or so. I'll post again when I have the mounted in their refurbished glory.

Cheers, Wayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wayne Corley
    President

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today? 1 year 11 months ago #74

• I picked up the bars from Falcon Powder Coating in Kelowna on Friday afternoon and got them mounted yesterday.

They went on a whole lot easier the second time.

I think they turned out pretty good. I can still see where they were marked up previously but you have to get close to see it.

The cost of powder coating was $60 plus tax at Falcon Powder Coating on Fitzpatrick Road in Kelowna. Good service and quick turnaround for standard colors. Ask for Quentin.

Wayne Corley
    President

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today? 1 year 11 months ago #75

• I set up my early Birthday/Christmas present yesterday.

Easy to set up and no problem getting the GS up onto it. I've been wanting a lift for quite a while. It should be a whole lot easier on the knees going forward.

By the way the tank is still off as I'm changing some of the wiring to suit. I've installed a relay to provide switched power to the GPS and set up a plug to provide power to the brake light in the Givi trunk.

Coming soon is a custom made rack on the back. The plan is for it to be multi-purpose.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne Corley
    President

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today? 1 year 8 months ago #86

• Well, I've finally got my new luggage rack completed. I'm hoping that it's versatility will be worth it.

Wayne Corley
    President

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today? 1 year 8 months ago #87

• The plate is made from 1/2" thick nylon plastic which is very tough. The outline, mounting holes and all slots were milled on a CNC machine. The slots around the outside are mounting points for ROKStraps and the two longer slots are used to mount my GIVI trunk.

With the rear seat off, I have a long wide platform onto which I can fasten just about any duffel bag.

There are two holes drilled to mount a ROTO-Pax gas tank. While the GS carries the same amount of fuel as my departed KLR it doesn't have the same range. The addition of an extra gallon should get me back up to target for trips through the back country.

Wayne Corley
    President
    Last edit: by waynecorley.

What Did You Do To Your Bike Today? 1 year 8 months ago #88

• With the rear seat in place the fuel tank creates a flat platform for mounting a duffel bag of just about any size.

The long slots in the plate provide a mounting point for my GIVI trunk. moved a bit back it will make a decent back rest for a passenger. We'll have to try it out to see if we want to add any padding.

If I don't have a passenger the GIVI trunk can be moved forward to provide a bit more secure storage for touring.

Hopefully I'll get the insurance on next weekend so I can start trying out the changes I made over the winter.

Cheers

Wayne Corley
    President
    Time to create page: 0.836 seconds